Let us come before [God’s] presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. ~ Psalm 95:2
Happy Thanksgiving week, everyone! I hope those of you in Canada enjoyed your October celebration and are prepared to bear with the Americans who haven’t yet gobbled our way through the holiday menu.
Speaking of, who says holidays have to feature traditional dishes? Every year around this time, I see ads for sales on scores of turkey alternatives. These are great options for helping new vegans transition away from meat or to satisfy a mixed vegan and omni crowd without compromising on the inclusion of animal products, but overall I think vegan “turkey” sells the plant-based community short. Plant-based food offers such a wide variety of options for any holiday (Isa’s New Book being a perfect example) that it seems to me there’s no reason to rely on prepackaged substitutions.
With that in mind, I’ve rounded up a collection of traditional and not-so-traditional recipes to grace your Thanksgiving table. From stuffing and stuffed squash to chili and cake, there’s something to satisfy everyone — with no un-turkey in sight!
- Autumn Mixed Greens Salad from Forks Over Knives
- Balsamic Butternut, Kale and Cranberry Panzanella from Cookie and Kate — Make it plant-based with vegan Parmesan, and replace the olive oil with an oil-free substitute if desired.
- Colorful Beet Salad with Carrot, Quinoa & Spinach, another Cookie and Kate offering
- Crispy Butternut Squash Salad with Bacon-Shallot Vinaigrette on Delish — A little tempeh, tofu, coconut or eggplant “bacon” to replace the meat, and you’re good to go!
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash with Dried Cranberries and Dijon Vinaigrette from A Beautiful Plate
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Salad, because Cookie and Kate apparently rock at autumn salads!
- Butternut Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole by Minimalist Baker
- Everyday Mushroom Gravy from Happy Herbivore
- Low-Fat Vegan Gravy with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, a video from Unnatural Vegan
- Sriracha Cornbread Donuts to put a little zip in your holiday!
- The Best Damn Vegan Mashed Potatoes from Minimalist Baker — Use unsweetened plant milk instead of vegan butter for creaminess if you want to eliminate the oil.
- Whole Wheat Rolls, a popular GreenGut recipe
And then, of course, there’s stuffing. But why settle on just one when One Green Planet has 15?
- Chickpeas with Thyme Gravy
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chili — Try it with the cornbread donuts on the side for an unconventionally spicy Thanksgiving meal.
- Delicata Squash Boats from Forks Over Knives, featuring my personal favorite winter squash.
- Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash on Chic Vegan
- Red Quinoa with Cabbage and Roasted Butternut Squash — Prepare as written, or roast and scoop out the butternut halves, stir the flesh in with the quinoa and cabbage, and stuff the hollowed halves with the mixture.
- Sweet Potato Hash with Black Beans and Apples
I couldn’t resist including this One Green Planet roundup, too, mainly because it contains an ingenious recipe for cauliflower pot roast!
Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Swirl Shortbread
- Orange Ginger Walnut Muffins
- Raw Cinnamon Pecan Caramel Pie on One Green Planet — A healthier way to get your seasonal pecan fix.
- Vegan Candied Almonds from Oh She Glows
- Pumpkin Mousse Cake by Vegan Richa
- Pumpkin Fig Rolls with Jamtastic Happy Fig Jam
- Banana-less Pumpkin Pie Smoothie from The Conscientious Eater
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie from Insightful Bite (with a banana!)
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer from The Plant Philosophy — Flavor your coffee naturally all season long!
Is this your first vegan Thanksgiving? No worries. Check out my guide to navigating the holidays!
Looking for more recipes? Take a look at last year’s roundup.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.