I’ve made this version of “the bowl” for myself a couple times now and liked it so much that I wanted to share the recipe! It’s one of those simple, hearty dinners that can be thrown together without a lot of hassle using ingredients you probably already have around the house. A little millet, some black beans, a few veggies and a splash of salsa and ta-da! It’s dinner time. Of course, you can always add whatever garnish you like. I used nutritional yeast, but vegan sour cream or chunks of avocado would be good, too.
I’m also trying out a new recipe format. From now on (and in older posts, as time permits), you’ll be able to print QV recipes right from the blog! Let me know what you think.
- ¾ cup uncooked millet
- 1½ cups water
- lime juice and water, as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers, any color, chopped
- ⅔ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup salsa, homemade or store-bought
- In a small covered saucepan, bring the water and millet to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Place a little lime juice and water in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until softened, adding more water as necessary.
- Add the corn kernels and cook until defrosted. Add the beans and cook until heated through.
- Divide the millet between two bowls and top with the bean mixture. Pour equal amounts of salsa over each bowl. Stir and eat!